Police in Nigeria said on Wednesday that 19 people killed in a series of attacks by the Haram suicide bombers that target the civilian self-defense force and the people who gathered to mourn their deaths. This attack was the deadliest attack in the months in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, this place is the birthplace of the Boko Haram’s eight-year insurgency.
Damian Chukwu the Borno state police commissioner said 23 others were wounded in the Tuesday night’s attacks. 12 of the dead were the members of a civilian self-defense force and the other seven people had been mourning them said by the police commissioner.
A Spokesman for the self-defense force, Danbatta Bello told about the suicide attackers that at least one of the suicide bombers was female. He said that the bombers specially targeted his colleagues when they were on duty.
Bello said: “A teenage female suicide bomber actually crept to the sandbag post of our boys at Molai and before they could realize what was happening she detonated herself and killed three of our boys.”
He further added, “That happened simultaneously with the one that occurred at the tea vendor’s where seven of our members who took their time off to eat their dinner was killed.”
The young girls and young women were used by the Boko Haram for the suicide attacks on the marketplaces, checkpoints, and other targets. Some of the young women who ran away from the extremist group have said girls are drugged and forced to carry out suicide missions.
An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw bereavement peoples fixing the bodies of the victims for burial.
Last year it was declared by the Nigeria’s government that Boko Haram had been “crushed” but deadly attacks continue. More than 20, 000 people kidnapped thousands of others and dripped over into neighboring countries has killed by the Islamic extremist group insurgency.
The United Nations has called the Northeastern Nigeria the world’s largest humanitarian crisis in more than 70 years, with the World Food Program approximating that more than 4.5 million people in the region need emergency food assistance